Nothing is comparable to the open road of the Outback stretching out from the windows of your hired campervan. Having your own set of wheels is definitely one of the best ways to explore everything Australia has to offer, because you can go wherever you want, when you want, and save a load of money on accommodation and transportation. There are numerous websites that offer campervan hire in Australia and they include Britz Campervans and Totally Australia Car Hire Rental Here is everything you need to know about hiring a campervan in Australia:
Table of Contents
Find the Best Campervan for You
The best way to get a decent deal on renting (or buying) a campervan is to understand how suppliers price their merchandise. Usually, the following characteristics are what determine how expensive campervan hire will be:
- Van Type – Obviously, the better and newer the campervan is, the more expensive the rate will be (for example, a Toyota 2004 van versus a 2015). Though a bare bones, older model will function just as good as a brand new van, you need to think about comfort, distance you will be travelling, and who you are travelling with. Vans also come in different sizes, such as 3-berth (3 adults) with beds and kitchenette. Usually, the number affixed to the name (3, 4, 5) is in reference to the size or how many people can sleep.
- Renting Duration – How long do you plan on renting? Did you know that most suppliers set their rates at levels, such as 7 days, 14 days, 21 days, and so on? The longer you rent the van, the cheaper the daily rate will be.
- Seasonal Availability – Just like plane tickets and hotel rates, the season you choose will affect how many campervans are available. Supply and demand will cause the prices to fluctuate. The priciest season to hire a campervan in Australia is between November and February.
- Insurance – Though insurance is mandatory, the better insurance you pick, the better your daily rate. Although the price depends on the supplier, you can get some decent deals using sites like Tripcover.
- Extra Features – If you plan on booking a van with a CD player, TV screens, a GPS, satellite radio, and other extra features, expect to pay more than a van with minimal amenities. Also, do you want two or four wheel drive? Is a toilet really necessary? Keep that in the back of your mind when shopping around.
Think about your own needs and then decide which campervan model is best for your Australia adventures.
Search Online and Compare
The best way to find campervan hires in Australia is to search online before getting to Oz. Most of the motorhome and campervan companies in Australia let customers search for and book their van choice and extra features online—but you have to do quite a bit of comparing. The good news is that when you book online, you don’t have to pay an agent commission fee.
There are a plethora of campervan hire companies that specialize in budget hires for travellers in Australia. The recommended companies with price-match guarantees and low rates are:
- Real Value Campervans Australia – 9 locations and with best price guarantee
- Kangaroo Campervans – has 6-berth vans, budget options, and 7 locations
- Britz Campervans – for Australia and New Zealand; has motorhomes and campervans
- Spaceships – unlimited kilometres, 24 hour roadside assistance, and vans that seat 2-4 people (usually only sleep 2)
- Camperman Australia – 8 locations and a number of different sizes
- Travellers Autobarn – buy, sell, rent; access to free camping grounds, ranges from station wagons to family-sized campervans
- Travelwheels Campervan Hire – 2-4 berth vans, special offers, and multiple locations in Eastern Australia
- No Worries Travel – 10 locations; a top-rated service with various sizes for backpackers
- Campabout Oz – located in Perth, WA; has affordable motorhomes with 2, 3 and 5 berth sizing.
Another website that is specially made for comparing prices is Drivenow. You can look at various options from major campervan hire companies like the ones listed above so you can the best deal.
Go for Longer
As you will notice when you start searching the above listed sites is that the longer you hire a campervan in Australia, the more discounts you get offered. The worst duration is 3 days or less, because you won’t get any discounts or booking deals. Seizing the best deal, however, comes down to doing your research. Figure out which company has the deal you need for where you are going, how their vans are rated, and what you get for your money.
The more you know about where you are going, the easier it will be for you to find the perfect campervan for your adventure down under. Now that you know the best websites to search for a campervan and what to consider when booking in advance, there is nothing holding you back! Start shopping for the best campervan hire deals today and be ready to go when you arrive in Australia…whenever that may be.